- Obama plots counter-attack
Barack Obama will next week launch a fightback against escalating troubles, heralding a battle which could write the fate of his administration.
- Sotomayor not the 'right' choice
US supreme court nominee's past comments catch up with her, writes Chris McGreal.
- Obama antagonising Muslims, says Bin Laden
President Barack Obama launched a landmark Middle East trip on Wednesday, but earned a swift rebuke from Osama bin Laden in a stinging new audiotape.
- Guantánamo proving a political headache for Obama
United States President Barack Obama on Thursday aims to grab back the initiative in a riotous debate unleashed by his order to shut Guantánamo Bay.
- On the cusp of change
Chris McGreal speaks to Americans about Barack Obama's first 100 days as president .
- Obama marks whirlwind first 100 days in office
Barack Obama on Wednesday will mark the 100th day of his presidency after a whirlwind start in which he has signalled a new approach.
- US split on torture as polls approve Obama's first 100 days
A narrow majority of Americans back the president's decision to release Bush administration torture memos amid high approval ratings.
- Washington forum draws worst greenhouse polluters
Diplomats from the world's biggest greenhouse polluters meet in the US on Monday in a forum aimed at getting a UN agreement to curb global warming.
- Where is the new JFK we expected?
Barack Obama was meant to sweep into town looking unassailable. Instead he arrives beleaguered, with an awful lot to prove.
- Parallels with Nam
The reason for invading Afghanistan seemed like a good idea at the time. Simon Jenkins reports.